Grammarly is a great writing assistant tool, and it has helped me a lot during my writing journey. But here’s the thing; Grammarly makes mistakes sometimes by adding the wrong words to the dictionary.
This can lead to wrong suggestions or missing terrible mistakes.
You can make sure Grammarly gives you helpful suggestions by managing your word list. Removing words you don’t need will keep its suggestions on point and make your writing experience better.
In this article, I’ll explain why you might want to remove words from Grammarly’s dictionary. I’ll also give you a step-by-step guide on how to do it.
Why you need to remove words from Grammarly dictionary?
There are several reasons why you might want to take certain words out of Grammarly’s dictionary:
- Improved Accuracy: Removing words that don’t belong in Grammarly’s dictionary makes sure the tool gives you the right suggestions. Getting rid of unnecessary suggestions makes the grammar checks more accurate and makes the tool work better.
- Personalized Writing Style: Every writer has their own way of writing, with some words or phrases that Grammarly might not know. By removing these words, you can stop Grammarly from giving you suggestions that don’t match your writing style. It also helps Grammarly understand how you like to use language.
- Getting Rid of Unwanted Suggestions: Sometimes, Grammarly might suggest changes for words you want to use in a specific way, like slang, technical words, or brand names. By taking these words out of the dictionary, you can stop Grammarly from marking them as mistakes or suggesting other words. This way, you can use the language you want.
- Fine-tuning Grammarly’s Advice: When you remove specific words, you help Grammarly focus on what you want to improve. This means you can pay more attention to certain grammar rules or writing goals. You can make the feedback fit your needs better and avoid suggestions that don’t work for your style of writing or your audience.
Step By Step Guide to Remove Words From Grammarly Dictionary:
Here’s a step-by-step guide to remove words from the dictionary:
Method 1: Individual Word Removal
Taking out specific words from Grammarly’s dictionary is a simple process. Just follow these steps to remove words you don’t want Grammarly to know:
- Open Grammarly in your web browser or on your computer.
- Click on the “Settings” icon or go to the “My Grammarly” section.
- Scroll down until you see “Dictionary” and click on it.
- Find the word you want to remove.
- Next to the word, there’s a little trash can or cross icon.
- Click on the trash can icon to get rid of the word.
- Confirm that you want to remove it by clicking “Yes” or “Remove” in the confirmation message.
Now, that word won’t be in Grammarly’s dictionary anymore, and it won’t suggest or correct it.
This method helps you easily handle your personalized word list. You can make sure Grammarly gives you the right suggestions for your writing.
Whether you need to exclude certain words from your industry, informal words, or anything else that doesn’t fit your writing, this method puts you in control of Grammarly’s dictionary.
Method 2: Bulk Word Removal
If you’ve got a bunch of words you want to kick out of Grammarly’s dictionary, you can save time by doing it all at once. Follow these steps:
- Open Grammarly on your web browser or computer.
- Click on “Settings” or go to “My Grammarly.”
- Scroll down to “Dictionary” and click on it.
- Hit the “Export” button to download your current dictionary.
- Find the downloaded file and open it with a text editor or spreadsheet program.
- Inside the file, you’ll see a list of words in your Grammarly dictionary.
- Delete the words you want to get rid of.
- Save the file after you’ve removed the words.
- Go back to the “Dictionary” section in Grammarly.
- Click on “Import” and upload the updated file.
Grammarly will update your dictionary and remove those words. Confirm the changes and wait for the import to finish.
By using this method, you can quickly kick out lots of words from Grammarly’s dictionary all at once. It saves time and lets you customize the tool to match your writing style.
This works especially well if you have a long list of words, jargon, or slang you want to keep away from Grammarly’s suggestions.
How To Remove Words From The Custom Dictionary On Mac?
Mac makes it a little harder to add a typo to your dictionary by accident by putting the option a little further down.
Still, it’s possible. I’ve done it.
But it’s easy to fix: just right-click on the mistake you made and click “Unlearn Spelling.”
Users who know what they’re doing can go to /Library/Spelling and change the Local Dictionary file.
You’ll see a list of all the custom words you’ve added. You can delete words and save the file to get rid of them.
How Do I Use Grammarly Personal Dictionary?
Using Grammarly’s dictionary, you can ensure that strange words you know won’t be marked as misspelled.
To keep a word from being marked as wrongly spelled, click “Add to dictionary” on the advice card. The word will then be added to your personal dictionary.
Step 1. Sign in to your account, go to Account, and then click Customize: to control your personal dictionary.
Step 2. To add a word, type it into the right box in the Customize menu and click the Add button.
Step 3. To get rid of a word from your personal dictionary, move your mouse pointer over the word you want to get rid of and click on the trash can icon that appears next to it:
When you add a word to your personal dictionary, other Grammarly tools will no longer flag it as a problem word.
By using this method, you can quickly kick out lots of words from Grammarly’s dictionary all at once. It saves time and lets you customize the tool to match your writing style. This works especially well if you have a long list of words, jargon, or slang you want to keep away from Grammarly’s suggestions.
Word Re-Addition: How to Add Previously Removed Words back to Grammarly Dictionary?
If you have mistakenly removed words from Grammarly’s dictionary or want to reintroduce a previously removed word, don’t worry—there is a way to add them back.
Here’s how you can re-add words to Grammarly’s dictionary:
- Open the Grammarly application in your web browser or desktop.
- Click on the “Settings” icon or navigate to the “My Grammarly” section.
- Scroll down to the “Dictionary” section and click on it.
- At the top-right corner of the dictionary page, there should be an option to “Add a word”.
- Click on that option to open a text field where you can enter the word you want to add back to the dictionary.
- After entering the word, click on the “Add” or “Save” button to include it back into Grammarly’s dictionary.
- Grammarly will now recognize the word again, and you will receive suggestions and corrections.
By following these steps, you can easily re-add previously removed words to Grammarly’s dictionary, ensuring that the tool recognizes them as valid words and provides accurate suggestions and corrections as needed.
Taking control of words in Grammarly’s dictionary is a great way to make the tool work better for you. It lets you adjust it to match how you write and what you want to achieve.
Whether you need to get rid of certain words, slang, or technical stuff that Grammarly doesn’t know, or you want to focus on specific grammar rules, customizing the dictionary is super helpful.
In this guide, we looked at two ways to remove words from Grammarly’s dictionary: one at a time or a bunch all at once.
The single-word method is good for getting rid of specific words one by one. The bulk method is handy when you have lots of words to remove, and it’s faster.
Frequently Asked Questions?
How do I remove a word from Grammarly’s dictionary?
Hover over the word you want to remove and click the trash can icon that appears next to it to remove it from your personal dictionary.
How do you edit Grammarly dictionaries?
You may also access your dictionary by going to app.grammarly.com, hitting “Account,” and then selecting “Customize.” All of the terms you’ve contributed to your Personal Dictionary are listed here. You can also add new terms or remove those that are currently present.
How do I remove words from my dictionary?
To remove a term, pick it in the Dictionary box and then press the Delete button. To change the spelling of a term, remove it and replace it with the desired spelling. Select Delete All to erase all words.
How do you use the Grammarly paraphrasing tool?
You’ll get a list of suggestions sorted by theme when you launch Grammarly. Clarity recommendations are displayed with a blue dot as you go down the list. A “Re sentence” label will appear next to suggestions for long or wordy sentences.
Does Grammarly reduce word count?
The tautology check in Grammarly helps you eliminate redundant words and create better, more direct statements.
How do I get rid of premium alerts on Grammarly?
To do so, open your browser and navigate to https://account.grammarly.com/customize/suggestions, where you can turn off a specific set of suggestions. This action will turn off this group in all Grammarly products you use. Please let us know what you think.