Are you looking for a quick way to improve your writing? We’ll show you how to connect Grammarly to Google Docs.
If you write a lot, grammar checks are helpful, and Google Docs makes it easy to share work with clients and editors. While working with clients, I use both frequently.
Combining the two is an excellent method to improve the efficiency and professionalism of your writing process.
Grammarly has Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Microsoft Edge browser extensions.
While writing on social media sites, browser-based email applications, and free word processing sites like Google Docs, the extension allows users to verify basic spelling and grammar.
However, premium subscribers’ advanced features did not operate with Google Docs until 2020, when they began beta testing an extension, specifically for Google Docs, in response to several customer requests.
You can participate in beta testing and use Grammarly simply in your Google Docs account if you use Google Chrome as your browser.
Grammarly plans to make the Google Docs plug-in available for other browsers in the future, but for now, you’ll have to use Chrome.
To begin, make sure you have an active Grammarly account by clicking the link below. Then proceed to the next step.
How To Install Grammarly?
- Install Google Chrome
- Find The Grammarly Webpage
- Install the Grammarly Chrome Extension
- Open Google Docs
- Enable The Extension
1. Install Google Chrome
If you don’t already have Chrome, go to the Google Chrome site and download it.
The Get Started screen will appear when you’ve downloaded and installed it. If you want, you can sign in to Gmail and create bookmarks. If you don’t want to do these things right now, press skip.
Download Grammarly For Google Docs
You’ll need to download the Grammarly for Chrome plugin to start using Grammarly in your Google Docs.
2. Find The Grammarly Webpage
Type “Grammarly extension” into the Google search bar in Chrome.
Grammarly for Chrome in the Chrome Web Store should be your first choice.
3. Install the Grammarly Chrome Extension on your computer
A pop-up window will appear, asking you to confirm that you wish to install Grammarly. It will begin to download after you confirm by clicking Add Extension.
Once downloaded, the green Grammarly symbol will show on the far right of your address toolbar. Because it is a beta version, the word beta will also appear on the icon.
It’s time to go to Google Docs now that Grammarly has been installed on Chrome.
4. Open Google Docs
Launch your Google Docs account and create a new document. A pop-up option will display on the right-hand side, allowing you to enable Grammarly.
5. Enable The Extension
Click the green TURN ON button, and Grammarly will now check everything you write on your Google Docs account.
Tips On How to Use Grammarly in Google Docs
These instructions apply to both Mac and PC machines.
To change Grammarly settings within Google Docs, click the Grammarly symbol in the toolbar; this will open a Quick Settings sidebar menu, with an advanced settings option on the upper right.
A premium Grammarly account is not required to utilize the Google Docs plug-in; a free one will suffice.
If you have Grammarly Premium, the extra functionality will work in real-time in Google Docs, delivering tone and clarity suggestions to improve your writing style, as well as a plagiarism check in addition to the grammar and spell-check provided by the free version.
Grammarly does not yet offer the plug-in for other browsers or OS systems such as Firefox, Safari, Microsoft Edge, iPhone, or Android.
They do have a separate add-on that can be used in Microsoft Office apps such as Word and Outlook. Instructions for downloading it can be found here.
In case you are not able to use Google Docs on Grammarly, then you may read our article Why isn’t Grammarly working on Google Docs, which will help you find out the solution.
How Grammarly Improves Your Google Docs Writing Better?
Now that Grammarly has been installed and activated, let’s use a Google Doc. Grammarly’s integration with Google Docs opens up a plethora of new options.
Grammarly can do the following:
- Red underlines: As you type, a red underline shows up to let you know that Grammarly has something to say. When you put your cursor over the underline, the suggested change will show up. In each case, you can either accept Grammarly’s suggestion by tapping the Accept button or dismiss it by tapping the Dismiss button.
- The Grammarly icon: When Grammarly is turned on in a Google Docs document, it shows an icon in the bottom right corner. This icon gives you a quick look at what Grammarly is suggesting. When the Grammarly icon looks like a spinning wheel, it is checking your work. If the icon is green, Grammarly thinks your writing is fine. When the icon turns red and has a number in it, it means that Grammarly has found as many problems as the number in the icon.
- Grammarly sidebar: Tap the Grammarly icon to open the Grammarly Sidebar and see a detailed list of suggestions. You can see suggested edits in the sidebar, and when you click on a suggestion, you can learn more about it.
- Goal setting: You can plan your writing goals with Grammarly. You can think about how formal your piece will be, what it will be about, and why you are writing it. There are both free and paid versions of each goal, and each has its own set of ways to customize it. You can change these goals by opening the Grammarly sidebar and clicking the arrowed target in the top right.
How Do I Make Grammarly The Default Spell Checker In Google Docs?
Turning off the spellchecker in Google Docs is the simplest way to accomplish this.
To do so, go to the header menu and select Tools. The first option is Grammar and Spelling. When you hover over it, an aside menu with four alternatives will display.
Make sure the choices to offer spelling and grammar suggestions are unchecked.
Grammarly is the only tool that will now check your writing for you. If you wish to perform a one-time check using the Google Docs integrated checker, look for an icon of the letter A with a checkmark in the upper left corner of the toolbar menu.
When you click on it, it will do a quick check on the document and offer you ideas.
- Grammarly vs Wordrake
- How to remove a word from Grammarly dictionary
- how to install Grammarly in Word on Mac
- Is Grammarly safe and secure
- How to get synonyms on Grammarly
- what does rank mean in Grammarly
- why isn’t Grammarly working in Gmail
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I enable Grammarly on Google Docs?
How to make Grammarly available in Google Docs In the toolbar at the top of the browser, click the Extension icon. Select Grammarly from the drop-down menu. Make sure Google Docs’ Check for writing recommendations is set. Swipe to the right to activate the button.
Why is Grammarly not showing up on Google Docs?
If you use footnotes or tables in your Google Docs documents, we recommend removing them and then re-adding them after Grammarly has edited your document. When using the Suggesting mode, the problem may also arise. We propose switching to Editing mode to fix the problem.
How do you do a grammar check on Google Docs?
You have the option of checking your spelling and grammar, then accepting or rejecting the modifications. Open a Google Docs document. Click Spell Check in the top left corner. In the top right corner, a box will appear. Click Change to use a suggestion. Click Ignore to dismiss a proposal. Click More to accept or reject all suggestions.
Why is there no spell check in Google Docs?
If you haven’t manually set the document’s language, Google Docs’ spell-check tool won’t operate. Setting the document language may address the problem in this scenario. Open one of the problematic documents in Google Docs. Open the File menu and select Language from the drop-down menu.
How do I put Grammarly on my Chromebook?
To install the Grammarly browser plugin, open Google Chrome and go to the Chrome Store. To begin the download, click Add to Chrome. Check out this page to learn more about where you may use Grammarly for Chrome.
Why is Grammarly not showing up?
The Grammarly browser plugin may not work on a website for a variety of reasons: It’s possible that the extension doesn’t support this page. Grammarly doesn’t work with this text box. iFrame was used to make the text box.
Where Is The Grammarly Sidebar In Google Docs?
Open a Google document and look for the green Grammarly icon in the lower right corner. When you click it, the sidebar will appear on the right side of your screen.