Grammarly is a widely recognized and highly recommended online editor tool that not only corrects spelling errors but also enhances your writing skills.
It proves to be an invaluable asset for all sorts of writing endeavors, catering to various projects and requirements.
It provides you with a wealth of information regarding the online editor itself, the accompanying app, the extensions, and all the additional insights you need to be well informed.
This article aims to provide you with a comprehensive guide on how to use Grammarly across all your applications and devices.
So, let’s get started!
How Does Grammarly Work?
Grammarly is a user-friendly software that operates similarly to Google Docs and Microsoft Word.
If you’ve ever used a spell checker while composing an essay or document, you’ll discover Grammarly to be effortlessly accessible.
As you write, the software actively scans for errors encompassing spelling, punctuation, word selection, and style, marking them with underlines.
It functions akin to a proficient editor, proofreading your work and providing constructive comments without being overly critical.
Since 2000, the company has dedicated its efforts to developing systems capable of identifying grammatical mistakes in your writing.
The latest version of Grammarly brings an even better performance compared to its previous iterations.
It excels at detecting common grammatical errors, including split infinitives, dangling modifiers, sentence fragments, passive voice, possessive pronouns, run-on sentences, and more.
Furthermore, it can serve as a plagiarism checker to ensure the originality of your work.
How To Use Grammarly On Chrome?
The Grammarly Chrome plugin lets you use most of the program’s features. It will look for mistakes in your writing wherever you do it on the web.
It’s the best grammar checker you can find online, and you should use it for everything from emails to your boss to posts on Facebook (more on those in a bit).
To have Grammarly keep track of what you do online, just do the following:
- To start, if you haven’t already, go to the site’s homepage and sign up for a free Grammarly account
- After making an account, go to the Chrome Web Store and look for “Grammarly,” or click this link: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/grammarly-for-chrome/kbfnbcaeplbcioakkpcpgfkobkghlhen.
- After clicking “Add to Chrome,” follow the on-screen instructions to add the extension to Chrome.
- Once the installation is done, the Grammarly icon will show up in the upper right corner of your Chrome browser.
- Click on the Grammarly icon to use it. Any Chrome text field can now get help from Grammarly with spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- When you click on the Grammarly icon, a drop-down menu will appear. Choose “Preferences” from that menu. This is where you can change the language, add new words to your own dictionary, and change the types of mistakes Grammarly looks for.
How To Use Grammarly In Word?
The following instructions will walk you through using Grammarly in Word:
- First, visit the website and locate the “Apps” section in the navigation bar. Click on “Grammarly for Microsoft Word” from the options provided.
- Once the add-in is installed, open Microsoft Word and either create a new document or open an existing one.
- In Word’s ribbon, you’ll find the Grammarly tab—click on it to access the Grammarly toolbar.
- To start using Grammarly’s capabilities, sign in with your existing account or create a new one.
- Begin typing to commence working on your paper, and Grammarly will promptly begin checking your work for typos, misspelled words, grammar and spelling errors, as well as style and tone issues.
- Take a look at the sidebar to review Grammarly’s suggestions for changes or improvements. It’s up to you whether you agree with the proposed changes or not.
- Finally, remember to save your file once you’ve finished implementing the desired modifications, as you normally would.
How To Use Grammarly In Google Docs?
There is a spell checker built into Google Docs, but it is nowhere near as good as Grammarly’s.
Google’s premium users were the only ones who could use the beta version of Grammarly for Google Documents until late 2020.
It can now be used by all kinds of people, even those who don’t pay for the service.
Here are some tips for getting started:
- Get the Grammarly extension for Google Chrome: Look in the Chrome web store for “Grammarly” and install the Grammarly for Chrome extension.
- After you’ve added the extension, open a Google Doc and start writing.
- To start using Grammarly, click the Grammarly icon in the upper right corner of your browser and then click “Enable Grammarly”.
- After you’ve turned on Grammarly on your Google Doc, you can start writing. Grammarly checks your work as you type for mistakes in grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- If there are mistakes in your writing, Grammarly will underline them in red and suggest how to fix them. You can look at each idea by clicking on it and then deciding whether to accept it or not.
- To change the settings for Grammarly, open the app by tapping the gear next to the Grammarly logo. From there, you can change how Grammarly makes suggestions, choose what kinds of mistakes to look for, and more.
- If you’re happy with the changes you’ve made, save your Google Doc as you normally would.
How To Use Grammarly On Mobile?
The Grammarly Keyboard app is available for free on the App Store and Google Play and will check the text you type on your mobile device.
Here’s how to make the most of Grammarly on your mobile device:
- To obtain the Grammarly Keyboard, simply go to the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store and search for “Grammarly Keyboard.” Install the application by downloading it from the respective app store.
- After successfully installing the Grammarly Keyboard, you can enable it in your device’s settings. Navigate to either the “General” or “Language and Input” sections. Look for the on/off switch designated for the Grammarly Keyboard and toggle it to turn on the feature.
- Once you have downloaded and installed the Grammarly Keyboard app, launch it and sign in to your existing Grammarly account to complete the setup process. In case you don’t have an account yet, the app will provide on-screen instructions to guide you through the account creation process.
- Start any text-based program that is compatible with your mobile devices, such as email or chat applications. When prompted to select a keyboard option, choose the Grammarly Keyboard from the available list. As you type, Grammarly will automatically detect and correct any spelling or grammar mistakes it identifies.
- The settings for the Grammarly Keyboard offer flexibility and can be customized to suit your specific requirements. Upon opening the app, access the “Settings” menu where you will find various options to personalize and configure the application according to your preferences.
How To Use The Grammarly Desktop App?
Grammarly gives its users a desktop application as well as a browser extension and a grammar checker on its website.
You can get it and start using it in the following ways:
- You can download the Grammarly Desktop App from the Grammarly website and put it on your computer.
- After installing the app, open it up and sign in with your Grammarly account. If you don’t already have an account, you can make one for free.
- After you log in, you’ll be asked to upload a file. If you choose “New” or “Upload,” you can either make a new file or send in one that already exists.
- As soon as you upload your document, the Grammarly app will start looking for mistakes and making suggestions for how to improve it.
- As you look over your paper with Grammarly, it points out problems with your grammar, spelling, punctuation, and other parts of your writing.
- If you click on the suggested change, Grammarly will make the necessary changes. You don’t have to follow the suggestion if you don’t think it’s important.
- Grammarly checks your work as you type and gives you tips on how to make it better as you go. This is a great way to find mistakes in your writing before they become a part of your style.
- After you’ve finished your document, you can save it as a Word, PDF, or another file type.
Grammarly For Microsoft Office
- Navigate to https://support.grammarly.com/.
- Install Grammarly for Microsoft Office (located at bottom of page)
- When you open Word or Outlook, Grammarly will display in your toolbar.
- To display the Grammarly editing screen with suggestions to enhance your writing, click Open Grammarly and sign in if requested.
- To accept a suggestion, select an item in the Grammarly editing window and then click the green rectangular suggestion box.
How Grammarly Improves Your Writing In Google Docs?
Let’s use a Google Doc now that Grammarly is installed and activated. When integrated with Google Docs, Grammarly offers a number of useful enhancements.
What Grammarly actually does is:
- The Grammarly icon: Your Google Docs work will have a small Grammarly icon in the top right corner. By clicking on this icon, you can quickly find out more about Grammarly’s grammar tips. When the icon changes to a spinning wheel, Grammarly is checking the text. If the icon is green, Grammarly has found no mistakes in your work. If the number on the sign changes to red, it means that Grammarly has found as many mistakes as the number says.
- The Grammarly sidebar: By tapping its icon, you can open the Grammarly Sidebar, which shows a long list of changes. In the sidebar, there will be suggestions for changes. If you click on one, you can learn more about it.
- Red underlines: When you are typing and Grammarly suggests something, it will put a red line through the word. When you put your mouse over the underline, the suggested change will show up. In each case, you can either accept Grammarly’s advice by tapping the Accept button or dismiss it by tapping the Dismiss button.
- Goal setting: You can make a plan for your writing goals with Grammarly. You can think about how serious your piece will be, what it will be about, and why you are writing it. There are different ways to reach each goal depending on whether you have a free or paid account. To change these goals, open the Grammarly sidebar and click on the target with the arrow.
How To Use Grammarly For Proofreading?
When you first open Grammarly and sign in, you won’t have any personal files.
A simple document to show what can be done with Grammarly.
It’s a good idea to spend a few minutes clicking on this sample document because it will show you how to use most of the features of the Grammarly app.
To proofread your writing using Grammarly, follow these steps:
- Sign up for Grammarly: Visit the Grammarly website (grammarly.com) and create a free account. You also have the option to upgrade to the premium version for additional features.
- Install the Grammarly extension: After creating an account, install the Grammarly browser extension. Grammarly supports various browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. Simply download and install the extension based on your preferred browser.
- Enable Grammarly on your preferred platforms: You can use Grammarly on multiple platforms such as email, social media, and word processors. Make sure the Grammarly extension is enabled on the platforms where you want to use it.
- Start writing or copy-paste your text: Once Grammarly is installed and enabled, you can start writing directly on platforms like Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, Google Docs, or Microsoft Word. Alternatively, you can copy and paste your text into the Grammarly editor on their website.
- Observe Grammarly’s suggestions: As you write or paste your text, Grammarly will analyze your content and provide recommendations for grammar, spelling, punctuation, style, clarity, and conciseness. These suggestions will appear in real time as underlined text or in a sidebar.
- Review and apply suggestions: Grammarly will highlight potential errors and offer suggestions to improve your writing. Click on the underlined text or check the sidebar to see the suggested corrections. Evaluate each suggestion and decide whether to accept or ignore it.
- Use additional features: Grammarly offers advanced features for premium users, including advanced punctuation, vocabulary enhancements, genre-specific writing style checks, and plagiarism detection. Explore these features if you have a premium subscription.
- Proofread your entire document: After reviewing and applying Grammarly’s suggestions throughout your document, read through it again to ensure everything looks correct and flows smoothly. Grammarly is a valuable tool, but it’s always important to use your own judgment as well.
How Does The Grammarly Editing Process Works?
After you paste or upload your paper, Grammarly’s algorithm will start working on it right away.
Depending on the length of the document, the proofreading process usually takes between 10 to 30 seconds before it starts giving comments and a score.
Grammarly can find and fix more than 150 grammar mistakes. It will give you a list of ideas that you can work with.
- spelling errors
- punctuation errors
- poor sentence structure
- run-on sentences
- unknown grammatical errors
- passive voice errors
- wordy sentences
How Does Grammarly Performance Score Work?
As you follow the advice, your total performance score on Grammarly will gradually improve.
This score is calculated by comparing your writing to the writing of other Grammarly users who have similar writing goals.
Clicking on the performance number in the upper right corner of your screen will provide you with a detailed evaluation of your written content.
Besides calculating an overall score, Grammarly also takes into account the following two additional factors:
Readability: based on the Flesch reading-ease test, contains word length, sentence length, and an overall score.
Vocabulary: includes unique and uncommon words.
Note: Most of the time, a measure of accuracy above 92 is good, but if you always do what Grammarly says, you can get scores in the high 90s.
Conclusion: How To Use Grammarly?
In conclusion, Grammarly is a great writing assistant tool to improve your written language skills.
Grammarly uses artificial intelligence and natural language processing to find and fix grammar, spelling, and punctuation mistakes.
It can also give you tips on how to improve the clarity, tone, and style of your writing.
To get the most out of Grammarly, you need to sign up for an account and download either the browser extension or the desktop software.
After that, you can either upload your documents for a thorough analysis or use Grammarly’s real-time checking as you type.
Also, Grammarly has a free version and paid premium plans that each have its own set of features and benefits.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I use Grammarly to check a document?
Copy your document from the file and paste it into the Grammarly window. Grammarly will check your test for correct grammar and spelling as you type. The right side of the screen will show this.
Upload: Bring your file from your computer to the site.
Is Grammarly fully free?
Grammarly’s free service will help you detect and fix typos, grammar mistakes, and punctuation mistakes. The paid version of Grammarly gives you all of this and more to help you write better.
How do I correct all mistakes in Grammarly?
Autocorrect is now part of the Grammarly add-on for Chrome and Firefox.
To turn on or turn off autocorrect, click the Grammarly icon in your browser’s toolbar and then click the switch next to “Correct spelling automatically.”